Ram Nath Kovind is the Governor of Bihar, a Dalit leader, a former advocate who practiced in Delhi High Court and the Supreme Court, and a former politician from the BJP or Bharatiya Janata Party. He was announced as the NDA candidate for 2017 Presidential elections in India by BJP President Amit Shah on 19th June 2017.
Early Life and Education
Kovind was born on 1st October 1945 in Kanpur Dehat located in the state of Uttar Pradesh, into a dalit family of farmers.
Kovind has a Bachelor’s degree in Commerce from Kanpur University. He also graduated with a BA degree in law from the same University.
- After graduation Kovind appeared for the Indian Civil Services Examination. He was unsuccessful in his first two attempts. He passed the third time but was chosen for allied services instead of Indian Administrative Service (IAS). Hence, he did not take up the offer and began practicing law.
- In 1971, Kovind enrolled with the Bar Council of Delhi as an advocate. From 1977 to 1979, he served at Delhi high Court as the Central Government’s Advocate. In 1978, he was successful in becoming Advocate-on-Record at the Supreme Court of India. From 1980 to 1993, he served at the Supreme Court as the Central Government’s Standing Counsel. Kovind continued practicing at the Delhi High Court and the Supreme Court till 1993; his career as a lawyer thus lasted for a period of around 16 years.
- Kovind was elected as a BJP member of the Rajya Sabha from Uttar Pradesh in 1994. He served as the Rajya Sabha member for 2 consecutive terms, from 1994 to 2000 and from 2000 to 2006.
- As a Rajya Sabha member, Kovind worked towards promotion of education in villages, basic infrastructure development in rural areas, and was involved in building of schools in Uttarakhand and UP under the Member of Parliament Local Area Development (MPLAD) scheme. He has been on the bench of many parliamentary committees such as the Parliamentary Committee on Social Justice and Empowerment and the Parliamentary Committee on Welfare of Scheduled Castes/Tribes.
- Kovind served at Kolkata’s Institute of Management as a member of the Board of Governors. He was also a member of the Board of Management at Lucknow’s Dr. B.R Ambedkar University.
- From 1998 to 2002, Kovind was the President of BJP’s Dalit Morcha unit. He has also been a former national spokesperson for the BJP and formerly served as the President of the All-India Koli Samaj.
- Kovind has also been the Indian representative at the United Nations. In Oct, 2002, he had addressed the UN General Assembly.
- Kovind was appointed as the Governor of Bihar on August 8, 2015.
Wife and Children
- Kovind married Savita Kovind on May 30 1974.
- The couple has a daughter named Swati and a son named Prashant Kumar.
Ram Nath Kovind – Salary
As Governor of Bihar, Kovind’s salary is INR 1,12,000. He also receives different types of allowances as fixed for the position of governor. If elected president, Kovind is entitled salary of INR 150,000 to 500,000 per month.