Perfectionist Aaamir Khan has an enviable list of movies but he has also rejected many successful movies which made stars out of other Bollywood celebrities. Here are the movies that he rejected –
- Darr – Aamir Khan opted out of Darr because he did not agree with the character of the possessive, stalking lover. But Shah Rukh Khan took on the challenge and made the character memorable. SRK made inroads into the Yash Raj camps with this film and things were never the same.
- Swades – Aamir Khan rejected Swades because he did not find the script interesting enough. The role went to Shah Rukh Khan who played it subtly, the movie has a cult appeal now and many believe that it is SRK’s career-best performance.
- Josh – Aamir Khan was going to lock horns as a character with Shah Rukh Khan’s in Josh. But the perfectionist rejected it because he felt that the role gave SRK more edge, even though the movie was directed by his uncle, Mansoor Khan. The role went to Sharad Kapoor.
- Saajan – Aamir Khan was supposed to act in Saajan but he did not quite like Salman Khan, and hence backed out of it. He found the script to be insipid too. Sanjay Dutt bagged the role of the handicapped ‘shayar’ and came back in the reckoning. Saaajan is one of the greatest musical blockbusters of the 90s. Of course, Aamir and Salman are close friends now.
- Hum Aapke Hain Koun – Aamir Khan was approached for Hum Aapke Hain Koun but he rejected the film because he found the content boring. Of course, the movie was a seminal blockbuster and made Salman Khan, a superstar.
- Dilwale Dulhaniya Le Jayenge – Aditya Chopra had penciled Tom Cruise and Aamir Khan for the role of ‘Raj’ for Dilwale Dulhaniya Le Jayenge. While Tom Cruise never happened, Aamir was not so enthusiastic about the film. He was also busy with Rangeela. Even Shah Rukh Khan was not so interested in playing Raj’s character in Dilwale Dulhaniya Le Jayenge. But Aditya Chopra convinced him saying that this film will make him a superstar. His words rang true and Dilwale Dulhaniya Le Jayenge is the most successful Bollywood movie of all time.