Anil Kapoor is an Indian Bollywood and international actor and film producer. He has acted in movies for nearly 40 years and has been a producer since the year 2005. The 1.75 meter tall actor has won a number of awards in varied categories, including 2 National Film Awards and 6 Filmfare Awards. Kapoor is regarded as the second most successful actor of the 1980s and early 90s after Sanjay Dutt.
Kapoor made his international acting debut with the Academy Award winning Danny Boyle directed film Slumdog Millionaire. For this movie, he shared with other cast members the Screen Actors Guild Award given for Outstanding Performance by a Cast in a Motion Picture. Other international acting works of Kapoor include his portrayal of President Omar Hassan in the 8th season of the American TV series “24”.
Early Life and Education
Anil was born on December 24, 1956 to movie producer Surinder Kapoor and Nirmal Kapoor in Chembur, Mumbai. He attended the Our Lady of Perpetual Succour High School located in Chembur and then did his college graduation from St. Xavier’s College in Mumbai.
- Kapoor’s debut Hindi movie was a minor role in the 1979 film Hamare Tumhare directed by Umesh Mehra. In 1980, he played the main lead in a Telugu movie titled Vamsa Vruksham. His first leading role came in 1983 with the hit movie Woh Saat Din.
- Some of the hit movies of Kapoor in the 1980s included Mashaal, Saaheb, Meri Jung, Karma, Janbaaz, Insaaf Ki Awaaz, Chameli Ki Shaadi, Mr. India, Tezaab, Ram Lakhan, Parinda, and Eeshwar. The mega-hit Mr. India was responsible for giving Kapoor a superstar status.
- In the 1990s, Kapoor starred in hit movies like Kishen Kanhaiya, Ghar Ho To Aisa, Lamhe, Beta, Laadla, Gharwali Baharwali, Judaai, Deewana Mastana, Biwi No.1, Taal, and Virasat. This was also the decade when two of his biggest movies ‘Roop Ki Rani Choron Ka Raja’ and Trimurti performed disastrously at the box office.
- Kapoor moved on to play more mature, diverse roles in the 2000s and was lauded for his excellent performances. Some of his well-known movies during this period include Bulandi, Pukar, Hamara Dil Aapke Paas Hai, Nayak, Calcutta Mail, Musafir, No Entry, Welcome, Bewafaa, Black and White, and Race. His English movie debut Slumdog Millionaire also released during this period in November 2008.
- In the 2010s, Kapoor appeared in movies like Race 2, Tezz, Shootout at Wadala, and Welcome Back. He worked in the eighth season of television action series 24 in 2010. He also played a bit of a negative role in Tom Cruise starrer Mission: Impossible – Ghost Protocol. Kapoor bought the rights of 24 and remade it in Hindi for Indian TV audiences. In 2017, Kapoor showed his versatility in ‘Mubarakan’.
Personal Life and Trivia
- Kapoor married costume designer Sunita Bhavnani Kapoor in 1984. The couple has a son and 2 daughters. Son Harshvardhan is an actor, daughter Sonam is an actress, and another daughter Rhea is a movie producer.
- Anil’s elder brother is film producer Boney Kapoor who is married to actress Sridevi.
- The famous dialogue of Anil, ‘Ek Dum Jhakaas,’ was uttered in the 1985 movie Yudh.
- Anil had made his film debut as a child artist in 1971 in the movie Tu Payal Mein Geet; this movie was never released in theaters.
- Kapoor’s grandfather and father were Hindu Pathans from the Peshawar area of Pakistan.
- He is known to be a fitness fanatic and is very particular about diet and exercise.
Anil Kapoor – Wife and Children (Pictures)
Here are some young pictures of Anil Kapoor with wife Sunita Bhavnani and children.