Rishi Kapoor is an Indian Bollywood film actor, director, and producer. He is a popular personality on social media site Twitter.
Kapoor won a National Film Award for his role as a child in the 1970 movie Mera Naam Joker. In 1974, he won the Filmfare Best Actor Award for the movie Bobby. In 2008 he was honored with the Filmfare Lifetime Achievement Award. In 2011, he received the Filmfare Critics Award for Best Actor for the movie Do Dooni Chaar, and the Filmfare Award for Best Supporting Actor for the movie Kapoor & Sons in 2017.
Early Life and Education
Rishi was born on September 4, 1952, to director-actor Raj Kapoor in Chembur, Mumbai.
He attended Campion School located in South Mumbai. He then did his college education from Ajmer’s Mayo College.
Kapoor made his acting debut as a child artist in the 1970 Raj Kapoor directed film Mera Naam Joker. In 1973, he played his first lead role opposite Dimple Kapadia in the blockbuster hit Bobby.
Between 1973 and 2000, Rishi played the romantic lead role in 92 movies and 41 of these were multi-starrer movies. He did 51 solo hero movies, out of which only 11 were hits. 25 of the 41 multi-hero movies were hits. His future wife Neetu Singh acted with Rishi in 12 movies between ‘73 and ‘81. The last film with Rishi as the lead actor was Karobaar: The Business of Love. It had a delayed release in the year 2000.
In 1999, Rishi became a director with the movie ‘Aa Ab Laut Chalen.’ It starred Akshaye Khanna, Rajesh Khanna, and Aishwarya Rai.
From 2000 onwards, Kapoor started doing supporting roles in films such as Hum Tum, Yeh Hai Jalwa, Fanaa, Love Aaj Kal, Namastey London, and Patiala House. During this period he also acted in 2 British movies, 2007’s Don’t Stop Dreaming and 2008’s Sambar. In 2012, Rishi played the role of the villain in the movie Agneepath. His performance was critically praised and lauded by audiences. His performance in Kapoor and Sons, where he played ‘Daddu’ (grandpa) won him many accolades and awards.
Personal Life and Trivia
- Rishi married Indian actress Neetu Singh on 22nd Jan 1980. They have two children, actor Ranbir Kapoor, and designer Riddhima Kapoor-Sahani.
- Kapoor’s nickname is Chintu. He is 1.7 meters tall.
- Rishi’s grandfather is actor Prithviraj Kapoor. He has two sisters Rima Jain and Ritu Nanda and 2 brothers, actor-directors Rajiv Kapoor and Randhir Kapoor. Shammi Kapoor and Sashi Kapoor are his paternal uncles. His maternal uncle is Nikhil Nanda, an industrialist. Actresses Kareena and Karishma Kapoor are his nieces. Actor Prem Chopra is Rishi’s uncle-in-law, while singer-actress Salma Agha is a second cousin. Rishi is also distantly related to producer-director Boney Kapoor and actors Sanjay Kapoor and Anil Kapoor.
- The KrishnaRaj bungalow located on Pali Hill was purchased by Rishi and his wife in 1980. The couple has lived there with their children for 35 years. The Kapoors have gone for remodeling of the heritage bungalow and erecting a 15 storey luxurious high-rise with all the modern facilities like a lounge, pool on the terrace, parking for Rishi’s collection of 45 cars, etc. During the construction phase, the couple will live at their Bandra flat in Wilson Apartments.
- Rishi revealed in his autobiography that he had paid INR 30,000 to get the best actor award for his role in the film Bobby. Hence, Rajesh Khanna did not get the Filmfare award for his complicated and nuanced acting in the movie Daag.
Rishi Kapoor – Young Pictures
Here are some of the rare pictures of the young Rishi Kapoor
Rishi Kapoor – Book (Autobiography)
Kapoor released his autobiography titled “Khullam Khulla: Rishi Kapoor Uncensored” on January 15, 2017. It was co-authored by Meena Iyer and published by Harper Collins.