Demetrius Shipp Jr. is an American music producer and actor. He has acted as Tupac (2Pac) Shakur in the biopic movie ‘All Eyez on Me.’ Jamal Woolard stars alongside Shipp as The Notorious B.I.G.
Demetrius was born on 20th November 1988. Before his acting career, he worked as a dish installer for Dish Network and at Target.
- Shipp has stated that people always told him that he looked like Tupac. This was the case in high school and even when he worked at Target. Hence, no much makeup was used on Shipp during the shooting of the Tupac biopic.
- Demetrius’ father had produced music for Tupac. He had been a producer for the song ‘Toss It Up’ which featured on the ‘The Don Killuminati: The 7 Day Theory’ album. It was the first album which released after the tragic murder of Shakur in 1996 at the age of 25.
- Demetrius had a regular job and worked as a producer. His interest was always in music and was looking for the next singer. He did not rap; he loves discovering music, listening to music, and is a modest keyboard player. He was never interested in acting. Hence even though he looked like Tupac, he did not want to audition for the part. He made an audition tape after a friend advised him to try this new world of acting.
- Demetrius’ father shared the audition tape with LT Hutton, a producer with whom he had collaborated at Death Row. LT Hutton is one of the producers of the film ‘All Eyez on Me.’
- Shipp was told that he had got the part of Tupac in the movie in 2015, nearly 5 years after he had auditioned.
- After he got the part, Shipp put in all his efforts into research and learning about Tupac. He read books about Tupac’s childhood, his Black Panther parents, his influences, and his years of growing up. Shipp also watched 2Pac all day, when eating, before sleeping, and immediately after waking up.
- Before playing Tupac in the movie, the only acting that the 5 foot 7 inch (1.71 meter) tall Demetrius had ever done was in a play in sixth grade. After finishing the movie, the acting bug bit him. He plans to continue acting and pursue a career in this field.