Sacrifice has always been a key element in Indian movie romances, be it Qayamat Se Qayamat Tak, Dilwale Dulhaniya Le Jayenge or Veer Zara. Succesful Bollywood love stories in 2013 have this quality as a common factor as well, making people misty-eyed in the process. Let us look at the best romantic movies of 2013
1. Aashiqui 2 – The sequel to the original Aashiqui (1990) did invite a fair round of speculations from quarters which felt that it would never match the success of the original. Aashiqui 2 (starring Shraddha Kapoor and Aditya Roy Kapur) proved to be a cult film, the songs ‘Tum Hi Ho’ and ‘Sun Raha Hain’ ending up as the anthems of the year. Made with a budget of just Rs.9 crore, the movie went to do business in excess of Rs. 100 crore. The story of Aashiqui 2 revolved around a former successful musician whose career is on the decline. He falls in love with his protégé and realizes that his alcoholism is a hindrance to her budding career. He pays the ultimate sacrifice even though his girlfriend tries her level best to give him all her love and time.
2. Raanjhana – At the rate at which it is going, Raanjhanaa is the 3rd biggest hit of Bollywood for 2013, lagging behind Aashiqui 2 and Yeh Jawaani Hain Deewani. Starring Bollywood’ most unlikely hero Dhanush and Sonam Kapoor, the story centers on this guy Kundan, from Benares, a Pandit, who falls in love with a Muslim girl, Zoya. He becomes a reason for her tragedy; to obliterate this, he becomes a part of her purpose in life. By the time, Zoya realizes the value of Kundan, it is too late.
Ranjhaana works in all departments, with stellar music from A.R.Rahman, amazing dialogues, a touching script and screenplay from Himanshu Sharma and a powerful performance by Dhanush who became a sensation for anyone who watched the film. Made with a budget of Rs. 35 crore, Raanjhanaa has grossed more than Rs.65 crore
3. Lootera – This love story transports you to the golden period of 1950s. The ailing girl of a rich Zamindar, Pakhi (Sonakshi Sinha) is smitten by the archaeologist Varun( Ranveer Singh). Turns out that he is actually a scamster who runs away with the family money and dupes his girl and her father of their wealth. He comes back into her life, with the police on his trail.
Despite critics raving about the technical finesse in the film, Lootera flopped because of its tortoise slow pace and boring screenplay.
4. Ramaiya Vastavaiya – This love story directed by Prabhu Deva is about Ram (Girish Kumar) who falls in love with the Sona (Shruti Hassan)best friend of his cousin. He follows her to Punjab, where her elder brother )Sonu Sood) resides. He asks him to work on the fields and toil like the son of soil.
5. Once Upon a Time in Mumbai Dobaara – Two gangster friends, played by Akshay Kumar and Imraan Khan fall in love with Sonakshi Sinha.
6. Ram Leela – This magnum opus by Sanjay Leela Bhansali is supposed to be a remake of the classic romantic tragedy, Romeo and Juliet, and will star Ranveer Singh and Deepika Padukone as protagonists.